First off, this is not an all encompassing list, nor is it written to question your ability as a parent. It also should go without going into great detail about the current challenges facing our nation.
Example: depression, mental illness, absentee fathers, gun access, neglect due to cercumstance, media infiltration from some leaders of industry producing content about their brokenness, higher than usual divorce rates, sexual identity and overall identity challenges that can appear in what might consider to be a good home. This analysis is coming from a person who deeply desires the best for my family, my community, the society, the nation in which we live and the world at large that we are charged with cultivating and protecting.
The environment of the home must have a greater influence on a child that the common trends in the external environment.
Kids are bombarded with cultural information in schools, via media, over the internet and especially in their small communal peer relationships.
It is a known fact that the cultural leaders in society are musicians, the wealthy, athletes and peers to name a few, both good and bad influences wielding the medium to which there is no avoiding. A home has no chance of having a greater influence without constant input from the leaders of the home. (Note – See below for the meaning and association of the word media / medium. Example of other mediums: Air, water, solids and the dirt.
Consequence based parenting/teaching is severely inadequate against prolific cultural norms. The parents and the children must have a sound moral compass to navigate their environments. This means the parents themselves should be seeking understanding of the 5 questions all men seek, or specifically know who holds the answers to the questions. According to Myles Munroe:
- Who am I – This question deals with identity. …
- Where am I from – this is not an ethnic question. …
- Why am I here – This is a question of progress, why do you exist, what did you come to earth to do. …
- What can I do – what is my true ability. …
- Where am I going – This is a question of destiny.
These environments can only be overcome through an internal belief that is rock solid and unwavering to the point that the child is known for their stance on these things. This may seem intense but it leads to friends speaking on their behalf why they abstain from engaging in wrongdoing.
The above only occurs from a formed character and the wisdom of teachings learned from personal seeking by the child. The conflict overwhelms their thoughts more than you may know. Even in a shy kid, there should be certainty in the response to someone trying to engage them in something they know to be wrong.
Some examples of these convictions should appear in all, some or a few of these forms: Abstaining from sex or sexual discussions. Strong convictions on vaping, smoking and drug use. Refraining from engaging in profanity. Holding the view of bullying as a severe problem that trigger strong emotions of disgust and possibly simpathy for all parties involved including the victim and the bully.
They should have a heart for the victims of the world and demonstrate deep understanding of things that affect the poor, abused, oppressed and underserved of the world as compared to their peers.
These strong beliefs will most likely build a level of grit that allow them to know when to demonstrate the highest level of leadership without shaming others but rather gaining unexpected loyal friendships along with severe defenders of their character.
- Interesting words and their meanings
- Ethos – the characteristic spirit of a culture, era, or community as manifested in its beliefs and aspirations: a challenge to the ethos of the 1960s.
- Culture – 1 the arts and other manifestations of human intellectual achievement regarded collectively: 20th century popular culture. • a refined understanding or appreciation of culture: men of culture. 2 the customs, arts, social institutions, and achievements of a particular nation, people, or other social group: Caribbean culture | people from many different cultures. • [with modifier] the attitudes and behavior characteristic of a particular social group: the emerging drug culture. 3 Biology the cultivation of bacteria, tissue cells, etc. in an artificial medium containing nutrients: the cells proliferate readily in culture. • a preparation of cells obtained from a culture:
- Environment – 1 the surroundings or conditions in which a person, animal, or plant lives or operates. • [usually with modifier] the setting or conditions in which a particular activity is carried on: a good learning environment. • [with modifier] Computing the overall structure within which a user, computer, or program operates: a desktop development environment. 2 (the environment) the natural world, as a whole or in a particular geographical area, especially as affected by human activity.
- Media – USAGE The word media comes from the Latin plural of medium. The traditional view is that it should therefore be treated as a plural noun in all its senses in English and be used with a plural rather than a singular verb: the media have not followed the reports (rather than has not followed). In practice, in the sense ‘broadcasting and the press, collectively,’ media behaves as a collective noun (like staffor clergy, for example), which means that it is now acceptable in standard English for it to take either a singular or a plural verb. The word is also increasingly used in the plural form medias, as if it had a conventional singular form media, especially when referring to different forms of new media, and in the sense ‘the material or form used by an artist’: there were great efforts made by the medias of the involved countries | about 600 works in all genres and medias were submitted for review.
Hopefully these word can shed light or at minimum encourages seeking and a discussion. Thank you